Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Up again

The server is back up again. 1and1 got it to reboot. Since it's been a week or so since I backed it up I just did a backup and copied it to both another 1and1 server and to my server at godaddy.com.

Now that I can see the logs it looks like it actually went down around 2:40 PM. I just didn't notice it until a little after 5 PM.

Now we'll see if they do anything to make the server not crash every three or four days.    :^(

I miss the "good old days" when it was economical to run small hosting companies. It used to be great to just get up and walk down the hall to the server room if there was a problem. Now it just doesn't make sense economically unless you have hundreds of servers. At the largest we only had around a dozen physical servers on a T3 and hosted around 800 domains.